Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sisterhood of The Traveling Dress Vintage Style Want To Join?

I've seen a skirt make its rounds among bloggers and I was thinking maybe it might be nice to try a vintage dress?   So, I was wondering if anyone would like to play "Sisterhood of The Vintage Dress".

This dress is not cotton but I think acetate?  It has got a silky blend to it and I think quite durable to love a trip around the world.


Here is how it works...

We will start off in the USA.  The dress will be sent to me at the end of the USA rounds than I will mail overseas and the dress will make its way to whomever wants to participate.  The requirements are:

1.  You must make your photographs within two weeks of receipt of dress, if you are unable to do so, you will post on to the next participant.  You will pay for postage to the next participant.   If you should happen to spill something on the dress, please clean before moving forward.

2.  You will create a blog post about your experience.  You may even want to highlight something special about where you live but not necessary.

3.  Last person overseas, will mail back to me the dress.


4.  Also on Instagram at #sisterhoodofthevintagedress

I'll keep the option to join in open for a couple of weeks than we will have a timetable set up so we can keep track of the progress.  Please leave a comment below by July 25th, if you'd like to join in.  Participation will be closed after this.


I'd love to see how you all accessorize this dress or where you might like to wear it.  This dress is speaking loudly to go on a vacation.



This dress is a little special because I believe it might fit a multitude of users.  If you are smaller you can use a belt.   It also has a lot of space in the bust area.   I haven't worn this dress in a long time and look forward to trying it out again.

I believe this to be a late 1940s handmade dress and made very well!

It is quite roomy in the torso and bust area. I'm thinking bust area could go as high as 40". So there is a lot of flexibility in the bust area. The waist is 29" and could certainly go smaller, you may even try at a little higher.  Also length from shoulder to end of dress is 48"   Side metal zipper.   

I am a 33 bust and with a belt it does work for me.  I think you'll find this is an interesting dress and does remind me of a dress that would fit many types of ladies.   Also, if you get it and aren't really happy with it, feel free to forward on and not worry about posting.   We should all feel grand in this dress:)  

Go ahead and join in on "Sisterhood of The Vintage Dress"  Open and welcome to international participants.


UPDATE:  At the end we will have a drawing for this dress so whoever participates and really loves it can have the opportunity to own it.  You may even decide to make adjustments to the dress to get it where you like, if you win the dress.
Also, please provide suggestions on how we might add a signature or?  to show its destinations.   Something under the hem?  








43 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun idea! Count me in. My email is jessica.ebacher (at) gmail.com if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. papermothballvintage (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a brilliant idea. If I thought it would fit me I would be in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if it will fit me sadly, the bust in particular seems rather too large. Boo :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not that large chested and it does fit me. I admit a belt is better for me. If you'd like to give it a shot and it doesn't work out (goes to all of you). You can just forward on. No worries:)

      Delete
  5. You know if this is successful wouldn't it be fun to try this with a ball gown or very fancy party dress? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. :( Sorry Laurence. It may even go a bit bigger than 29.

      Delete
    2. It I measure the back it is 16 and if I measure the front it is around 14.

      Delete
  7. What a cute idea. Can't wait to see all the places it gets to travel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I think it should fit me. girlwiththestarspangledheart[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it'll fit me, but I can't wait to see where it goes! This is a great idea! Maybe you could include a separate ribbon with the dress, everyone can sign it, then at the end you could sew it onto the hem underneath. So you think that could work?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm adding an extra bonus to those who would like to join in. I will do a giveaway at the end and whoever really likes the dress at this point can be entered to win the dress. You may also decide to do adjustments to the dress to get it where you like it to fit, if you win the dress. I do know for me it is a bit baggy on the upper portion but if I spent some time making some tweaks it would fit like a gem....so this can be an option for one of you fine ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, I'd love to give it a try. Worst case scenario I'll hold it up to me on a hanger (I think the bust and waist should be OK, as most of my gut is now well below the natural waist-thank you, menopause!). It may take me a week to fasten the tiny buttons though ;)

    This sounds like great fun.

    I'm envisioning a photo standing in a corn field clutching a hot water bottle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is great, I can so see one of those lovely granny purses with this dress:) My granny had a shell purse, I should really look for one of these. One of those purses where the shells were wrapped inside a kind of plastic accented by wicker. You'll be surprised you won't even need to unbutton a button, the side zipper basically makes it very easy to get over your head. Tee hee, this would make it so worth it to see this dress with a hot water bottle in a corn field. I love these kinds of ideas...this dress will certainly have some tales to tell.

      Delete
  13. Oh, and for the signatures, maybe a hankie pinned underneath? I sort of like the idea of a clip everyone could add a post card to without damaging the dress. My email is cornmotherne@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have got the perfect little basket weave handbag to go with this so I'm in! judylenton@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a lovely idea! It is too small for me, but I look forward to seeing the adventures of the dress. I'd love to do something like this with a hat...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great idea Tanith. I'm going to do this in the future too! I'm also thinking a very nice wrap dress would be good too!

      Delete
  16. I'd love to try! I bet I could do a post whether it fits or not! inourhappyplace(at)gmail.com
    Marie @ In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you ladies for all joining in! You are all so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if the hips would work for me but I'll give it a try! Maybe if it starts it journey overseas, by the time it reaches me I'll lose a few inches! :P Maybe a white ribbon along the inside hem with a fabric pen that we could all sign or a hankie in a pocket? brittany@vavoomvintageblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany the hips flare out quite bit so I think the only issue for most would be the waist measurement. It's an interesting dress. I think it will work with a few different sizes:) There is no pocket in this dress:( I like the idea of the ribbon. I'm going to see if I can do something about this. I think I might include the ribbon separate and attach it at the end as I'd hate for the ink to go through the ribbon onto the dress.

      Delete
  19. Such a cute idea! I love the sisterhood of the travelling pants so naturally I am totally into this idea. However i live in Australia. have fun guys!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Natalie, it's a-okay for you to join in too. If I get a few ladies from Australia, this would be worth it for the dress to take a vacation to Australia too:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to be part of this project!

    butterflies.daisys.vintage@gmail.com

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, awesome idea-- I'm in! whitney dot eggers at gmail dot com!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fantastic idea! Please count me in! :) vintagevisions27@gmail.com
    If everyone made a tiny fabric label (maybe 1" x 2" or somewhere in that size range) with their name and location they could be tacked inside the hem.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent idea Joanna. Oh the fun this dress will have! If the dress is interested in coming over to our great sunburnt country then I would love to take her out for a spin. I only hope she fits! Brooke at brookenf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful idea, and such a beautiful dress to use! I would love to participate, so please count me in!
    bonita.vear(at)gmail.com


    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I have a 33" waist...do you think it'd work if I layered this with another dress or something??? Just to add some interest?
    doodlebug09 {at} frontier {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure it would go to a 33 it does have a side zipper then if this were not zipped maybe could? Let me know if you'd like to give it a shot.

      Delete
    2. sure, i'd love to! if not, i'll just send it on to the next chickadee! :)

      Delete
  27. Oh I just saw this! What a refreshing idea, I'd love to participate! my email is lilies.remains@gmail.com

    xo Sara

    ReplyDelete
  28. When the international gals get a go, I would absolutely love to participate, dear Joanna.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd love to be a part of this! Such a fantastic idea!! My email is poodlesandpincurls@gmail.com
    ~xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fun idea! Can't wait to see how everyone styles this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is this still on? I'm in Bangkok and would love to join in but think i'm a bit late. Letitiabakes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. If you continue this wonderful project, count me in! I leave in Greece and can't wait to being photographed wearing it! ♥
    e mail me at : sagaeva91@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think we can all agree that this dress has to go to Jessica, since she has literally lost everything and it became her so well. Have a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sanine, the dress was also lost in the fire but we have the memories to live on and Jessica is in my thoughts and prayers as she gets through this tragedy. Thank you for thinking of her:)

      Delete