Pages

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Lilli Ann Ramble

I hope you don't mind if I ramble more about Lilli Ann.  Even though this is the creme de la creme line for me, there are times when I'll buy a jacket or a suit and it doesn't fit well.   One thing to keep in mind with a vintage suit is that it isn't like nowadays where you walk in a shop try it on and buy it.  These ladies had their suits tailored.  It was all about structure and form.   I've been fortunate to see many different varieties of Lilli Ann suits so it isn't a total disappointment when they don't fit correctly as it is still a joy to see the tailoring and fabric style in person.  It is kind of like they stop in for tea on their way to their new homes.

I think it is easier to find a well fitted coat than a suit.    I wanted to share with you a remarkable jacket that if it would have fit correctly, I would have kept it.   I tend to pass forward the clothing that doesn't fit me well, including Lilli Ann.  I haven't yet been to a tailor to adjust a vintage suit and not to say this wouldn't happen in the future but I feel like with a jacket the adjustments are much more complex than with a cotton dress.

I took a few pictures of this jacket for remembrance sake.  It had exquisite details and the white against the navy was certainly a dramatic effect.  But, it was slightly too big.   Certain angles it is difficult to see, others it is quite obvious.




This jacket was beautiful the white stripe effect so well done.





Would you like a sneak peak at my latest Lilli Ann jacket?  I'm just waiting for the right brown skirt to come along.  <Fingers crossed>




A really lovely detail is how under the lapel is a white satin fabric.







23 comments:

  1. Both of those are stunning! And reading your posts about Lilli Ann never gets old for me. :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's hard to pass on so amazing clothes!!!! I have some stuff that don't fit me perfectly but I'm still keeping in case of.... but I will probably sell them one day... Those 2 jackets are just so AMAZING! I have quite always been dissapointed when I get something tailored to fit me, so I feel it's better to let them in their original size and give the chance to another person to find the perfect fitted clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! And I agree... Lilli Ann posts never get old! Your posts are making me hope that someday I'll stumble across one in my size, the suits you showcase are always exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO GORGEOUS! I agree, tailoring a suit (especially well-made ones like Lilli Anns) is really difficult, and I'd probably side with you in just passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen some really amazing Lilli Ann jackets here and there, and the details are always so beautiful. It's really a shame that it didn't fit you better, it was a really lovely piece.
    I always enjoy seeing your posts about Lilli Ann and vintage suits. I have a couple, and while the skirts tend to get more wear, I think a full skirt suit can be really beautiful, classy, and elegant. I really have to pull one out of my closet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very beautiful jackets, but the brown one! *swoon* Please don't let me wait too long to see this beauty worn.
    May I save one of the photos as a reference? I am really tempted to try and sew one like this (or at least inspired by, can't keep up with this level of sewing).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what another person said. Sharing your Lilli Ann adventures doesn't get tiring for me either. You wear the suits so darn well. They are like pieces of art. Just incredibly beautiful and timelessly stylish! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how much you share Lilli Ann! Ramble away, my dear lady! I feel like your blog is one of the few places I get to see an Lilli Ann in action! And it is marvelous because you always look so elegant! Shame about this coat being too big, but it is so stylish nevertheless!

    Also you latest purchase is gorgeous!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll join in the chorus of "we love your Lilli Ann posts"! You are basically the author of 90% of my Lilli Ann education! These are both beautiful, and I look forward to seeing the new one on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so DECO!
    I doubt I could ever get tired of looking at amazing Lilly Ann posts. They are the rest for my sore eyes.

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could never mind your rambles about Lilli Ann! Both jackets are absolutely stunning. Looking forward to seeing pictures of you with the new one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could never possibly tire of hearing, and learning, about LA from you, dear Joanna. You are their 21st century brand ambassador in my books.

    I'm sorry that this LA gem didn't work out for you. It's utterly stunning, but I agree, a touch too large. Your view on how some piece like this are simply stopping in for tea is beautiful and put a big smile on my face. I feel that way about the vintage items I sell in my Etsy shop.

    Big hugs & happy Wednesday,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo! Those are lovely! I can understand your hesitation in getting a jacket altered. Especially a vintage one. You MUST have a tailor you trust and the funds to do the job properly, in my opinion.

    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guess what? I inherited a Lilli Ann from my grandmother and I went ahead and had it altered by a professional tailor. (Sorry vintage purists.). It came out beautifully, and I am so happy with it. I think the keys were that the fabric was in good shape and it was being taken in rather than let out. Just wanted to chime in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your jacket. If I had a tailor who I could trust, I'd be heading to them too!

      Delete
  15. Both of those jackets are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing; I always enjoy your Lilli Ann posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone for your kind words:)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have a very hard time giving up that beautiful suit, even if it didn't fit me! I love both jackets, they have such sophisticated cuts, but they also have fun little details :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are the queen of Lillian! IT's never enough! Both jackets are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheer up, you´ll find another great fitted suit soon I´m sure!
    I would not dare to change something on a Lilli Ann piece by myself, but I also haven´t found a trustfully tailor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that suit is so adorable! I love it Im sorry the fit was off

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both those jackets are beautiful, such great details.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those jacket are awesome !! Love all these design details.

    ReplyDelete