Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Confessions of A Fabricaholic

Today welcomed a somewhat impromptu morning trip into the city to visit the infamous Mood and B&J Fabrics.  I thought about it yesterday and figured this was an opportunity that I don't get too often, so off I went.   I cannot begin to explain the amount and types of fabrics available in NYC.  It seriously is one of those things that you have to see to believe.  The main reason for me going into the city is that I have been searching high and low for silk blue and stripe fabric (more on this in my next post).  You would think this wouldn't be so difficult to find.  But, I have scoured the internet and not found one good source.  I am so glad I went into the city to visit these shops.   They can be quite pricey but the quality is amazing and to touch and feel all these selections in person, just amazing.   I have been to Mood once before but it has been many years.  

In this post, I will share images of the the shops and the next post show and tell. 




First stop B&J fabrics,  this shop is wonderfully organized.









Yep, one of my purchases, now how could I not get this wonderful red wool crepe fabric?








Marilyn in Italian silk, this fabric is amazing!










Can you guess the inspiration from this piece of silk below?




On to Mood, I don't think you can walk out of this place without something:




Mood actually had some very reasonably priced fabrics too.  There was a great selection of silks around $14-16 a yard for silk!





















Trip back to the train station.  Lovely day at Bryant Park..






How cool is this a shop devoted to spandex?



My haul...




13 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you did this! I can tell you had a blast! The fabrics all look so dreamy! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for shopping! I've not been fabric shopping in NY but I have been in the garment district in LA and it is quite an adventure. Pretties everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fabric stores. We don't have anything that grand here, but once in a while I'll stop in a fabric store and think .. hmm, I should take up sewing :-)

    Monica, www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I wish we had fabric stores that big over here! On the otherhand money wise it's not so bad to have less choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaahhhh! Fabric heaven! You found the promised land. Glad that you got to bring home some of those amazing fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure vintage fabric heaven!!! Swoon!!! Love!!! So wish I was there, too!!! I really like the classic red wool crepe that you picked up. It would have caught my eye as well. Fingers firmly crossed that you found or will be able to find the particular type of fabric that you're on the hunt for.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I've never visited any of those stores but once inside I don't think I would ever leave!! I would be on fabric overload, but it a good way. :) Can't wait too see what you create with your fabric goodies.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! So much fabric! I'm dazed and overwhelmed just looking at all of it! But my goodness, it would be heaven!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a great day out. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in NYC and hav ebeen to that store even though I cant sew it is amazing
    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  11. But....but...but....YOU DIDN"T BUY ANY SPANDEX!
    What if time travel becomes possible, and you go back to 1985 and have to earn your living in a hair band? Sheesh, I'd want some sparkly green spandex in my stash...you never know. That would be a destination shop for me-I love spandex almost as much as 60's polyester.

    I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Wallis Simpson inspired dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where you'll go, if you come to NYC:) I can quite imagine you gleaming between the glittery bolts of spandex.:)

      Delete
  12. We don't have anything quite so amazing as this here in Melbourne (open to the public), what a treasure trove

    ReplyDelete