Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Bernie Dress

I bought my first Bernie dress on sale and I'm hooked.  I really like her dresses.  They are actually having a sale on some dresses and tops as we speak, so I decided to try out another dress too!    This dress is a cotton dress with a Parisian theme.  What's not to love about a Parisian theme?  The only thing better is to be there:)    When I first got it, I thought it was a bit too small but now I'm thinking it's just fine.


I'm also wearing some great 40's shoes.  The problem is the strap is wearing.  Since this picture, I've tried some great leather conditioner on the shoes which worked great to soften the leather but the straps have to be helped by adding some support.  I believe they can be fixed by the right cobbler.  The problem is there aren't too many around near where I live so I'll have to see if I can find a good one.  I'm hoping I can prevent breakage in the strap.  I hope I can as these are really great shoes and are worth the effort to fix up.   Have any of you lost your shoe straps of vintage shoes?  If so, what have you done?  Have you been able to save any of your brittle leather straps?  I'd really love to hear thoughts on this!  These shoes were barely worn but the straps are dry and some breakage has occurred but they are still hanging on.















I submitted a couple of photographs to Vintage Life (these pictures were taken on a different day), so I'm not sure if I'll make it to the readers page.   If one does, I'll be sure to clue you in.  Here are the two I submitted:







On a side note, I wanted to mention Debbie Reynolds has a shop with vintage Hollywood costumes for sale.  

A lot of amazing pieces.  



There is still a hot pink skirt designed for Betty Grable in "My Blue Heaven" available.
Image source from Debbie Reynolds Studio Store



A dress from Raintree County
Image source from Debbie Reynolds Studio Store




Or how about a suit designed for Grace Kelly?
Image source from Debbie Reynolds Studio Store


There is a lovely Adrian suit but it was worn by Katherine Hepburn making it quite expensive at $35,000 but maybe not so expensive for someone with a trust fund lol.  There is also an extra dress designed by Adrian for $750 that I can see being purchased soon by a collector.  Interesting website to visit.



12 comments:

  1. I love that dress! The print is to die for!
    Kalin from Modestyismypolicy.blogspot.co,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, I love your dress, stamping is beautiful and the design also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look sensational, sweet Joanna! Three cheers on getting your first Bernie dress! I only have one myself (bought new off eBay the winter before last at about retail, but sans the insane shipping that I would have paid if I'd bought from Bernie's lovely site, which, sadly, charges "$43-$60" on anything you order if you live outside of the States, even one dress!), it was a huge splurge and Christmas present to myself that year. I was a bit surprised by the fit (though I'd read others say plenty of times that her dresses work better for some figures than others), but it does fit and that's what's important. I really should (finally) debut it on my blog come summertime - though, that might just lead to me "needing" to buy a second Bernie dress myself, too! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to post your Bernie dress, I'd love to see!

      Delete
  4. Bernie's dresses always have nice fabrics but I always think they look too short. What do you think about the lenght of your dress?
    Love these shoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the length of this dress is really good. I agree though that some of the current retro inspired dresses can be a bit short. The ones on ModCloth are really short!

      Delete
  5. Oh, how I adore that BD dress. I have the fabric and a pattern that would do to tunn it into such a delightful replica. I can't wait for things to settle down and then I can take a whack at sewing it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great that you found the fabric! I hope you are able to sew something new up this summer!

      Delete
  6. I love the dress and that print is wonderful! You look great! I've been thinking about getting one of her dresses for a while now, do they have a different fit than other brands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the one dress and I'm excited to try another. I think the quality is nice. This one is a bit tight but I knew it would be considering I bought it on sale and it was a size too small but for $50 I had to try:)

      Delete
  7. OOH! Best of luck with getting into the Readers page, love the print of this dress and THANKS for the link to the costume website!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you just look darling in that dress! I love the print and I brightened up with glee when I saw the little purse you paired it with! That is perfect!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete