Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Think There Is A Market For Vintage Couture Patterns?

Not quite finished yet as the auction is near an end but I couldn't help but share this...

Schiaparelli (pattern only!)  now at $510

I think Vogue patterns should seriously consider re-releasing some of these designer patterns.  They really are hot sellers.  The Jacques Fath patterns fetch around $200 too!  This dress pattern is amazing.  I'd love to see the actual dresses created from some of these patterns!  I'm wondering if there would be copyright problems and this is why they don't.  I love this style with the draping cape.  Fabulous!




I picked up this pattern a couple months ago and hope to attempt it one day in the future.  I paid $15 as a BIN and quickly swiped it up.  I have pulled it out of it's slip case and I realize how fragile the tissue paper is so I will be curious how successful it is to work with these old patterns that were never meant to last this long.


Have any of you had success using vintage sewing patterns?  Also, have any of you made a period designer dress from a pattern?



6 comments:

  1. I can barely sew! I did make a stuffed bear once .. lol.

    I've actually toyed around with making a blouse or top and I've looked at a few Simplicity patterns, but just never got the nerve to put it all together.

    Monica
    www.pear-shaped-gal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use vintage patterns, I trace it onto pattern paper. I'm too scared to damage the patterns. I never used a designer pattern, but they are really lovely but expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make about 98% off all my clothes using 1930s-1950s vintage patterns. I've never owned a designer one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's amazing! Great for you making your clothes!

      Delete
  4. Have you considered doing a trace onto new paper so that you can save the original?

    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I should use tracing paper where I can. These vintage patterns are really fragile:)

      Delete